Wednesday, November 2, 2011

29 Days of Thanksgiving…because I started late; Day 1

During the month of November, everyone takes the time to think about and put to paper what they are most thankful for. I decided that I needed to do this also since I have so much to be thankful for this year.

It’s no secret that the last few years have played havoc on our financial situation…we’ve gone from being a happy “middle-class family” to becoming a stress-ridden “low-income family”. I’m not really trying to complain because I know that we are not the only family that this has happened to and that in fact, there are other families in much worse shape than we are. Still, it hasn’t been easy.

There are days when all I want to do is pack up and run away trying desperately to believe in the old adage that “the grass is greener on the other side”. But I know it isn’t. You will always have trials and tribulations to go through no matter where you are.

So, on this 2nd day of November, I am most thankful for my Lord and Savior, Jesus Christ. He loved me even though I was a sinner (and still am), unworthy. I have done some pretty despicable things in my lifetime and have been so ashamed of my actions to the point that I didn’t like myself so how could anyone else like me much less love me? But in those dark times, Jesus was there to pull me out of the ditches I was wallowing in. He gave me the strength to try and become a better person day by day. And I’m doing just that. I’m not perfect by any stretch of the imagination but I’m definitely not the same girl I once was. Some days are easier than others.

One of my favorite Bible verses is Philippines 4:13 and I find myself quoting it often.

“I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me.”

I saw a translation on Facebook tonight that said; Use the strength in Him when you don’t have enough of your own. You can do anything through Him but little without Him. That pretty much sums it up, doesn’t it?

I thank God today and everyday that he loved me enough to let his son, Jesus die on the cross for my sins. Without Him, who knows where I would have ended up? So tomorrow, when I am wondering how we are going to pay the mortgage…I know that we will survive what lies ahead. Because…..

I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me.

 

 

I’m sorry this post was so long and dark but I felt like I needed to quit holding things in so much and really speak from my heart. Hopefully the rest of this month’s posts will be more cheerful!

 

No comments: