Saturday, November 26, 2011

Happy Thanksgiving!

Well, Happy Thanksgiving weekend! I hope you all are spending time with family and friends. We have been so busy the last two days that I haven’t had time to post until now. Before I get into Thanksgiving, I will show you what we did to get ready for Thanksgiving.

First of all, I got a wild hair and decided to move my dining room table and hutch into the other side of my living room. My living room is a looonnng and narrow bowling alley type box with a brick wall and hearth on one end. It is terrible to try and re-arrange furniture in because it is so narrow. It is dissected in the middle by my front door and the hallway that leads to the kitchen, bathroom and my scrapbook room. On the side with the brick wall, I have my living room furniture and TV set up. I had a hard time decorating the other side but I always had two bookcases flanking the window with a desk in-between. The rest of the room was a hodge-podge of furntiure including a rarely used treadmill.

Our kitchen was remodeled years ago and included a large peninsula where a wall once was. I had them make it with on overhang so I could use barstools with it.  I loved it but it made the area for my table smaller. When we had people all around the table it was difficult to maneuver around it. So I decided to move it into my living room.

Gabrielle and I were the only ones home at that time. Tony was off deer hunting of course and Cassidy was at a friend’s house. We managed anyway but I was so sore for the following two days.

Here is the finished results.

IMG_1244

This is the view from the other side of the living room. See what I mean about a bowling alley?

Here is the hutch.

IMG_1248

I just realized that this picture is crooked. LOL!  I will come back later and give a close-up of all the details.

This side chest was on the other side of the living room but I knew I would have to move it to make room for the Christmas tree so I went ahead and moved it to this side.

IMG_1246

 

On the other side of the table I have a dresser that a friend gave me. I had originally had it in the hallway but like it here better. I still need to repaint it and fix the sticking drawers. The large mirror was also a gift from another friend. I love it but it is soooo heavy. It has a gold finish but I think I’m going to paint it also.

IMG_1245

And now for the details…

On the table

I have had this pilgrim couple for several years but I just picked up the green tin bucket and the mini pumpkins from Family Dollar this year.The leaf table runner and placemats came from CVS a couple of years ago.

IMG_1262

IMG_1253

IMG_1252

I bought the tin hen from a decorating store here in town. The leaf plate, I got from Family Dollar…they had 3 different designs at $1 apiece so of course I got all of them.I made the 3 glass hurricane globes from a post I saw on Pinterest. I filled 2 of them with min-pumpkins bought from The Dollar Tree and the 3rd with a candle and leaves bought from The Dollar Tree. I have found a new love for dollar stores since finding Pinterest. I will replace the mini pumpkins with ornaments at Christmas

In my hutch on the top row I have a set of 3 rooster plates my mother gave me. She knows I have a thing for roosters. Next, I added a mini pumpkin to a cheese dish I had from when I sold Princess House crystal.

IMG_1256

Here’s the second shelf of my hutch with some more roosters and mini-pumpkins I picked up the charger plate from Wal-Mart this year. I wanted to get a complete set of them but was waiting until they marked them down more. I waited too late and was only able to get one..

IMG_1257

And here is the bottom row of the hutch. I again used some of my Princess House crystal this time filled with some scented pinecones along with some pumpkins.

IMG_1261   .

And last but not least, here is the dresser.

 

IMG_1263

I have had these candlesticks for ages. I got the pumpkin from a dollar store and painted it off white. I forgot to go back and paint the stem I see. Funny how you don’t catch mistakes until you are blogging about it.  The candle on the other candleholder is one of the flameless candles again from The Dollar Tree.

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

Here’s another rooster filled with mini pumpkins again. I picked up alot of these from Wal-Mart when they marked them down to 50 cents.

IMG_1264

IMG_1265

Okay so here’s the last picture. I have seen lanterns everywhere on Pinterest including some DIY’s to make from cereal boxes. I found this little jewel at Family Dollar on sale for around $3 and grabbed it quickly. The pumpkin plate also came from there. I bought it along with the 3 leaves plates.

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

So that was my dining room redo for Thanksgiving. I moved the 2 bookcases and the desk into the kitchen where the table was and love it. I will show pictures of that once I am through with it.

Stay tuned for more Thanksgiving posts.

No comments: